Max and I were mulling over where to go next and on hearing negative news on the Worcs Great Grey Shrike, we opted for Draycote Water.
Stopping in at the cafe, we saw Draycote Recorders Richard and John, along with his family. We had a chat and they told us there was a rare moth outside on the wall called a Mervielle Du Jour. I must admit moths are not my favourite creatures; in fact I used to be quite phobic of them (these days they just make me feel a bit uncomfortable, unless they're those big horrible ones). Anyway, this was one of the nicer ones, an inoffensive size, pretty colours and viewable from a safe distance. I'm not sure how rare this moth is, but it pulled in a few moth twitchers.

We spent a while along Farnborough bank and towards the sewage works, where Richard had seen a Black Redstart earlier in the morning. Sadly, it wasn't to be seen again, but we did discover a Rock Pipit, which was closely associating with two Pied Wagtails. It was quite elusive, but patience paid off and we got a good view eventually (WMBC tick). Also 2 juv Little Gulls over towards Biggin Bay, Grey Wagtail, Green Woodpecker, Kestrel and around 20 Meadow Pipits.
It was very cold and windy and felt like more like a winter's day, the leaves were being ripped from the trees reminding us that it was still only autuam. We walked round to Rainbow Corner and managed to get onto the drake Common Scoter from there. It was very close to Draycote bank, but when we went round for a closer look it was hard to find again, as sailing in the area had moved the ducks on. When we eventually relocated him, he was asleep and a bit too far out for photos.
As I haven't had so much opportunity to use my camera this weekend, I'll leave you with this pleasent sight; hairy legs and all! Two of these crawled into the dining room earlier this week and gave Max a fright.
3 comments:
Merveille du Jour is a cracking moth - not really rare, but one of my favourites.
If you come round here and deal with our spiders, I'll help you out on the moth front.
Better the Moths than those hairy spiders!
Post a Comment