Sunday, January 03, 2010

Happy 2010

Happy New Year bloggers!

I know, I've slacked off with the blogging over the latter months of 2009. Those who know me will know this is due to changes in my personal circumstances. Thanks to anyone who is still reading this and now I notice I'm somehow still attracting new followers, I should really write something.

I had another trip to Norfolk early December, neglected to blog it as in the most it was similar to previous winter trips but brief highlights were; following a very mobile but stunning Great Grey Shrike round Dersingham Bog, a lifer in the form of a Ferruginous Duck at Snettisham (poor views as it slept on the bank, but diagnostic white backside), vast flocks of Pink-footed Geese at Holkham with hunting Barn Owls and Marsh Harriers. Snow Bunting flocks were at Snet and Cley and c10 Twite at Titchwell. A total of 6 Common Cranes at Stubb Mill, Hickling although few raptors that day.

Seawatching stuff along the coast at Holkham, Cley etc included Slavionion Grebes, all 3 Diver species, Gannet and Red-breasted Mergansers. Add to that all the expected duck and wader suspects. Nice little break.

Gulls on Cley Beach during a particularly bleak seawatch session gave me a chance to get my camera out...







So what next for Brightside Birding? Ok I'm a bit stuck, a landlocked brummie without a car, but I'm making a fist of it with a modest start to 2010 exploring some new urban spaces. I've also learned of a couple of small Warks WT reserves within striking distance, which look worth a shuftie, plus I'll be making more of an effort to visit the few places I can access locally on public transport; Sutton Park, Earlswood and Upton Warren to name a few.

Brueton Park in Solihull had a healthy amount of the commoner bird species yesterday. Six Siskin, GS Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Goldcrest, Jay, Buzzard and Kestrel were all noted fairly easily. There is a feeding station there by the cafe with Nuthatch visiting frequently, so worth a visit for local photographers and also the SSSI land looks good for butters and dragons in the summer.

9 comments:

Tim Jones said...

Really nice photos Kay well done, also get on that 144 and get to upton you never know when a caspian gull will show up ;)

Anonymous said...

There's some lovely old fields between Peterbrook road Berry mound and Gay hill golf club. They are an assortment of old horse pasture and ungrazed fields with a stream and a pond and some good hedges with mature trees. I had it as my patch for a couple of years. Best birds I had were Ring ousel, Wheatears, Green and Common sands, Hobby, LS Woodpecker, Pintail and Shoveller. I didn't have time to visit that often either. It's a nice little patch and well worth the effort. And nobody else goes there as far as I know.

Bob Bushell said...

They are beautiful, the Black-headed Gulls. I love them.

Kay said...

Tim - I will be down there soon to year tick the Bitterns. Caspian...who knows...I still owe JB a quid, another reason to get there sharpish!

Richard - thanks for the tip. This is about a mile from where I live now and I wasn't even aware of it!! Just goes to show what you can turn up if you put the effort in. Will check it out soon :)

Bob - thanks for your kind comment. I was lucky with the light that day and had BH Gulls and a Common Gull coming close while I was sitting on the beach seawatching.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I meant to say Little owls and Lapwings breed over there as well. The golf club side of the stream (a tributary of the river Cole)is accessible from public footpaths/bridleways but the Berry mound side is private and you will need permission from the stables in Truemans heath lane but he's a fairly agreeable chap and didn't hesitate to give me permission.
I grew up about half a mile away in Hollywood and went to Woodrush school.

Kay said...

Many thanks for this further info Richard, sounds very interesting indeed :)

Kay said...

Many thanks for this further info Richard, sounds very interesting indeed :)

Ghost of Stringer said...

Happy New Year to you too Kay !

GG Shrike is an AWESOME bird !

I remember seeing my first fudge duck at Coton Pools (is that what they were called ? Near Kingsbury WP) way back in the late 80's when I still lived in the Midlands....

Kay said...

Lea Marston and Coton Lakes, Newton. Ah...the joy of year ticking Scaup from that road bridge ;-)

In recent days they have had Bittern, Smew and Caspian Gull there, not bad going at all!