Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Boulderdash

I've had a hectic last few weeks, with my new job starting and a string of 'social commitments' leaving hardly any time for birding, let alone blogging. Can't wait to get out into the field this coming weekend.

Despite the full schedule a few hours were freed up last Saturday morning to meet up with Richard 'Straight Outta Bharatpur' Powell to have a wander round Cannock Chase.

Richard had never visited the Glacial Boulder before and he had high expectations....I think he was anticipating something like this.....


However this is the Cannock Chase Glacial Boulder.......


Rather underwhelming, isn't it? (I don't know who those folk in the pics are, by the way!).

Whilst Richard regaled us with tales of weird and wonderful birds with names like Greater Racket-Tailed Drongo and Spangled Drongo; tigers and Indian trains (see his blog for the full trip report) we had a pleasant stroll round this area of the Chase, before moving on into Sherbrook Valley and the Cadet Huts.

A fair variety of birds were seen, most notably 15 Crossbills by the Cadet Huts, 4 Ravens, 2 Stonechat, a few Yellowhammers and Willow Tits, lots of Green Woodys and many a Skylark burbling away.

5 comments:

Reg Telescope said...

I'd have called that blog entry Boulderdash. A missed opportunity, Miss D?

Kay said...

Good idea Mr T!

Reg Telescope said...

LOL! I didn't expect you to change it!

I must say, I've dug bigger bricks out of my garden than that!

Ghost of Stringer said...

Hey don't knock the glacial boulder stone.... I saw my first ever great grey shrike from there !!

Do you think it was deposited with those little cobbles underneath it ?!!

Funny post, made me laugh out loud....

Kay said...

Great Grey Shrike is much more impressive than the Glacial Pebble!! ;)

Unfortunately, no wintering Shrikes on the Chase this year, but plenty else to see.