I forgot to take any pictures as I was too busy chatting with Reg; so in true Blue Peter stylee, here's some I made earlier (during a visit to UW in Jan)...

Now, I must admit that I've had Barnacle Geese on my life list and my WMBC list for a long time, but you can never be sure of the origins of any Barnacles seen in our region as there is a large feral flock in Staffs. Well there's three in a flock at Whitemoor Haye which are the real deal - we know this because of information gleaned from the colour rings they sport, they were ringed in Svalbard and wintered on the Solway Firth.
There they were, behind the main pit keeping a slightly aloof distance from their (assumed) plastic cousins, with their multi-coloured bling on show. Martyn and Stuart were here too and we had a chat and shared some Bakewell Tart that Max had brought from M&S....no jokes about tart's ticks please!
We also saw a Eurasian White-fronted Goose, a Wheatear, Goosander, Goldeneye, Redshank and Oystercatcher.
It was a great weekend's birding with spring in the air, plenty of time in the field, four counties visited and lots of laughs with friends.
3 comments:
If you'd managed to stir yourself from your bed a bit earlier, Kay, you'd have had great views of Cetti's!
Have a very happy birthday, matey.
Well even if you did not get the Cetti's, it looks like you reall enjoyed this tour, with a lot of nice spotting. I guess it was fantastic to do that with some friends. Wonderful pictures of the shoveler, I like it...
Hi Kay, the image of the water rail out of the water is very strange .... it's hard to see these birds on land cleared. You have wonderful images in your blog ... and you are very lucky to live in a place with so many birds! Greetings!
Post a Comment