Friday, April 24, 2009

Eight out of ten birders prefer Whiskered

I didn't see this one coming! After enjoying most of the day birding around Tame Valley we gradually became more and more twitchy about the Whiskered Terns not too far away at Willington GP in Derbyshire. Half an hour later we were watching eleven of these stunning Terns swooping around pleasing the assembled crowd with amazing views. A lifer of course and all the more special as I believe this is the largest gathering of these ever recorded in the UK (usually turning up in ones or twos).


Record flight shot by me

Max's digiscoped pic.


Other highlights of the day were discovering an adult summer Yellow Legged Gull and 2 Wheatear, both nice surprises. Also Black Tailed Godwit, LR Plover, Sedge Warblers, Whitethroats and Common Terns were also seen (the latter three being year ticks) all around the Drayton Bassett area.

We arrived back from bonny Scotland on Weds evening. I won't say too much just yet but it was, to say the least, stupendous. I'm currently in the process of sorting out my photos, then a full trip report will soon follow.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Blimey! Eleven Whiskered terns, that is something to see.

Chris said...

Hi Kay,
Fantastic bird to see and it is nice you got the flight picture. I guess you enjoyed it well... Congrats.