Sunday, April 05, 2009

Long Weekend

Over the weekend a few people have commented that I've been 'slacking off' with my blog of late. Not true, I just counted back and there were five posts last month, that's more than one a week. Anyway here's a 'bumper' edition and then that's all folks.....until I get back from Scotland that is.


Thursday 2nd April

Keen to catch up with the Cattle Egret at Middleton Hall for my year list and my WMBC region list a pre-work twitch was in order. We spent an enjoyable hour following this entertaining bird around and still made it to work for 9.00am. Also two singing Blackcaps were noted.

Image appears courtesy of Martyn Yapp.



Friday 3rd April

Burning the candle at both ends there was an after work birding session at Ladywalk NR and very pleasant it was too. The highlights were undoubtedly a male Brambling at the feeders and a Tawny Owl. Also three Oystercatchers and a nice selection of ducks including Wigeon and Gadwall were noted.


Saturday 4th April

Classic Draycote day with the Warks birders out in force and also fellow West Midlander and birding blogger Martyn Yapp; the Green Winged Teal was drawing the crowds in. On the walk to Toft Bay we had two Yellow Wagtails, our first of the year and also the Red Necked Grebe, which now looks fantastic in its breeding finery. I would have liked to try for a slightly better picture than this, however with no time to linger we continued to the top of Toft where the GWT had been seen.



In Toft the Teals were skulking behind the willows and it was hard to see any, Green Winged or otherwise. We scanned for a while and eventually two Teals got flushed out and they landed on the water nearby, fortunately one of these showed a vertical stripe - the Green Winged Teal! A good bird for the region and the second one I've ever seen, my first was in Norfolk in 2007, although I don't think I really realised what it was at that stage. More appreciated this time. Also of note, 2 Great Northern Divers and an Oystercatcher.

Following Draycote we went to Focus Optics, where I treated myself to a new pair of bins. I would recommend Focus to any birder for their excellent service and expertise. Their website is down at the moment, but I'll link it when its up and running again.


Sunday 5th April

A late start to the birding today, due to administrative duties like buying tickets for Glastonbury and some last minute things to sort out for our trip which we will set off for on Thursday evening. Once that was done and dusted we headed out to Upton Warren in anticipation of a few more year ticks.

At the Moors Pool we had three year ticks in the form of a Little Ringed Plover, a Cetti's Warbler which showed briefly and a fine Willow Warbler to the right of the hide. Also 4 Oystercatchers, a Redshank, two Common Snipe, 3 Sand Martins, a Sparrowhawk, several Chiffys and a Bullfinch. Sadly the Mealy Redpoll was nowhere to be seen. Several Peacock butterflies were on the wing.



At the Flashes the bird of the day and a further year tick was a faboulous Jack Snipe which showed well in the far corner to the right of the hide. We also had a Common Sandpiper, 4 Little Ringed Plovers, 8 Avocets, 2 Oystercatchers, 2 Common Snipe and 2 Redshanks.







I might have mentioned just a couple of times this Scotland trip we're going on. We're off on Thursday night and have a week on Speyside, which will allow plenty of time for exploring Abernethy, Cairngorms, Moray etc. We're then having four nights in Mull. I'm sure you can guess the stuff on the wish list, Capercaillie is of course high on the agenda and with RSPB Caper watch doing the business several times this week hopes are high.

Catch you all soon.

4 comments:

Bryan Rains said...

I'll keep my eyes open for you when you get onto Mull!

Chris said...

Hi Kay,
Wonderful post I love the avocet pictures. They are so cute!

Warren Baker said...

have a nice sottish trip!! Good luck with the Caper.

Kay said...

Thanks guys.

Big Yin - look out for a thirty-something couple from Birmingham, thats us! I'll catch up with your blog before I go to check what's about.