Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Siberian Staffordshire

An extremely cold day battling the elements in North Staffs on Sunday was brightened considerably by the company of Mr Reg Telescope, Mr Richard 'Producer' Powell, Mr Stuart 'Alrewas Birder' Collins, Mr Pete 'Not Walkenden it's Walkden' Walkden and the other half Mr Max 'Falco Subbuteo' Ahmed.

Doxey Marshes was first on the list. The Brummy contingent arrived much earlier than expected; so we set about exploring the marsh, keeping on the move in a futile bid to warm ourselves. Richard and Stuart joined us soon after. This produced two year ticks; White Fronted Geese and Barnacle Geese. Also Water Rail, Snipe, 11 Goosander, 3 Buzzards, Kestrel, Reed Bunting and Bullfinch.


Kestrel at Doxey Marshes by Pete Walkden


A Reed Bunting enjoys a rare glimmer of sun at Doxey...

Coldmeece next. A good site for gulls lately with Richard finding an Iceland here the previous day. A raft of larger gulls including GBBG, LBBG and Herring Gull was difficult to scan with the sun working against us, but it was apparent no white primaries were to be seen. I was a bit worried about Pete at this stage as he dislikes gulls even more than Max, but he found some small birds including this Treecreeper to keep him occupied.


Treecreeper at Coldmeece by Pete Walkden
http://petewalkdensbirdphotography.fotopic.net/

Driving to Park Hall CP in snow flurries, the afternoon's birding now looked in jeopardy. Then the Long-Eared Owls were absent from their usual tree. Despite all eyes searching, they couldn't be located in the canopy. Bugger! We had a Raven, which was a small blessing as it furnished Reg with a year tick. The misfortune continued however, with the Little Owl being AWOL from the quarry. We did however see carvings by neanderthal men on the quarry cliffs, the ever popular 'waves crashing into lighthouse' design....nothing changes, eh?

Just when we thought we were dipping everything we saw a group of Golden Plover in the meadow at the hilltop with more coming down to land totalling around 30. We then bid farewell to Pete and the rest of us, out of hope or sheer desperation decided to take our chances on the moors. If we got stuck, we wouldn't starve; we had Penguins, Doritos and, if the worst came to the worst, Reg's scotch egg to turn to for sustenance.

A long wait watching Swallow Moss from cars, which Max, Reg and I mainly spent comprising an elaborate system of landmarks and directions which we could use to point out birds (only flawed by the lack of birds to point out). It seemed that nearly one hour went by with no birds at all but the odd horizonal snow shower. Eventually a Snipe over, followed by a Carrion Crow over the mound which flushed a couple of Red Grouse (although I didn't see them properly as my view was obscured), then a possible raptor briefly in the same place which disappeared immediately. Then Stuart had a Short Eared Owl, but it was distant and disappeared, with the snow falling once more.

Around 5.00pm we all connected with a cracking male Hen Harrier which showed well before roosting in the heather. Richard and Stuart headed off home and we followed 10 or so minutes behind them. Stuart texted to say he'd seen a Merlin and then just before we reached the Mermaid Pub, in the fading light, the highlight of the day and a lifer for Reg - a Short-Eared Owl hunting the moors!

Hard going conditions at times, but that might help toughen Max and me up for Scotland and I can honestly say that even with the weather and the dips it was a very enjoyable day. So thanks all for being great company as ever, thanks Pete for the photos and thanks Richard for being the tour guide again and for leaving that SEO by the pub!

5 comments:

Reg Telescope said...

As you haven't mentioned them, people are going to think I strung those two grouse now!

Another amusing write-up, Kay.

Kay said...

Oops I'll mention them. My view was obscured though both times so I'm sad I didn't see them myself.

Pete Walkden said...

LOL at my name on here! Still chuckling now. It was a good day out.

Richard Powell said...

Well, no-one's mentioned it, so I will. That picture of Max is uncanny.

Kay said...

Everyone else has a nickname and a website, so I couldn't leave Max feeling left out.

BTW, Max never writes the blog so I'm not sure why he is considered as a Brightside contributer...perhaps I should give him a monthly slot or something?