Rainy weather scuppered the previous bloggers Nightjar meet, but a few days of drier weather last week meant that the Cannock Chase outing was hastily rearranged for Friday evening. In attendence; Local Richard, Alrewas Stuart, The Notorious A.S.B.O Archie along with Tame Valley birders Tom and Julian.
Me and Max had a Cuckoo fly past on our way to meet the others. When we arrived everyone was listening to a Grasshopper Warbler reeling away in the heather. Before long it was located and we all had pleasing views. That was a bonus year tick, however we dipped on our main quarry of Nightjar, hearing only a couple of distant churrings. We did get closer to one just before 11pm, but it was dark by now, so we didn't get as much as a glimpse.
There were a lot more birders than birds on the Chase that night, and although it was now dark we recognised the familiar voice of Warks birder John Harris on the walk back. Back at the car park, a considerate car driver flashed their full beams on us, presumably so Max and I could find our car in the dark. See Archie's blog for the 'uncut' version!
Yesterday afternoon Max and I went for a sun-drenched walk along the Dowles Brook area of the Wyre Forest. I'd hoped to see Silver Wash Fritillary butterflies, but we didn't see any, just tons of Speckled Wood and the odd Brimstone. I don't know much about butterflies so perhaps the timing is wrong?
We had a singing Tree Pipit, 2 Wood Warblers (heard), several Marsh Tits that showed well, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and two family partys of Wrens. Kingfisher and Grey Wagtails were on the brook, however no Mandarins, I never see them there.
No comments:
Post a Comment