A Woodchat Shrike was at Brandon Marsh on Friday evening. Unfortunately I wasn't. By the time I heard this news Max was already on his third pint and my friend was on the way over for a girly night out. Not being a car driver myself I was well and truly stuck.
Saturday morning we headed down there, both nursing hangovers, but the Shrike had departed. The lack of negative news had kept vague hopes alive, but when we got there local birders had already given up the search and gone home, nice of them to tell us. This is fast turning into 'Darkside Birding', so I better lighten the mood with a couple of pics.
Large daisy with small spider
Common Blue Damselfly

Holly Blue butterfly also noted. The birding was quiet, save for a Hobby from Carlton Hide and a good selection of Warblers in song.
Sunday was a full day out in the field in Worcs with Martyn. Trawling many spots in the intense heat was hard work, especially looking out for non-existant Turtle Doves. Highlights included Lesser Whitethroat at Old Yarr, Garden Warbler at Throckmorton, Cuckoos at Gwen Finch, Bredon's Hardwick and Longdon Marsh. Longdon also contained a very elusive and annoying Lesser Whitethoat, lots of Brimstone and Painted Lady butterflies and many Banded Damoiselles and a female Broad Bodied Chaser.
Brimstone

Last night Max and I went for a pre-bloggers outing reccy on Cannock Chase, keen to see Nightjars. We had one sighting, with two churring birds heard. A Woodcock was roding, a Cuckoo called, Tree Pipit heard, plus Hobby and Green Woody.
Getting back to our car there was some rather dubious activity going on in the car park - a middle aged harlot was sat on the bonnet of a car blatantly flaunting her legs! For anyone who isn't aware, Cannock Chase, as well as being famous for Nightjars, is rather infamous for other nocturnal activities; if you're not sure what I mean, think Stan Collymore! A bit unerving, so be careful fellow birders - don't go up there alone.
3 comments:
I told Mrs Reg to be on her best behaviour as I knew you were going. I shall have to have a word with her.
Let's hope she doesn't read this!
Hi Kay,
A quite birding but some nice picture of insects, so it is quite nice anyway to get beautiful pictures like that. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment