Monday, June 22, 2009

On the Level

A pre-Glasto Somerset twitch at Ham Wall NR yesterday. Arriving at Loxton Marsh the Little Bittern could be heard calling deep in the reedbed, sounding something like a muffled dog's bark. The reeds were taller than us though, this was going to be difficult and would require a little luck. We found a vantage point on the other side of the reedbed and thankfully after a short while the Little Bittern took flight, giving brief but excellent views (lifer 259).

We stayed in position for a couple of hours but he didn't show again, he has become a lot more elusive than when he first arrived, so we were happy with what we got.

On the way back, another twitch closer to home - a gorgeous Red Necked Phalarope was at Upton Warren, I'd forgot how tiny these were. Also of note 2 Green Sandpipers.

It wasn't all twitching though; before that we'd spent most of the day exploring Ham Wall and the adjacent Shapwick Heath NR, an extensive area of reedbed on the Somerset Levels - highly recommended for a day out birding. Highlights included were 2 Bitterns, c8 Hobbies, Cuckoos, Cetti's Warblers and a Little Egret. Common warbler species were in abundance and showed very well.

There were also plenty of insects to look at and I enjoyed a spot of photography.


Blue Tailed Damselfly


Damselfly mating - the ever romantic 'headlock manoeuvre'



Dragonfly lifer - Black Tailed Skimmer, also lots of Emporer Dragonflies about, my favourite but too quick for my camera



Mute Swan preening



Common Whitethroat



Scarlet Tiger moth, most moths I hate, but day-flying moths like these are real beauties


5 comments:

Reg Telescope said...

Lovin' the dragonfly!

NatureStop said...

Greetings from Oman! Really enjoyed going through your blog.Great images.

Chris said...

Hi Kay,
This is a wonderful post... What a diversity... I love the last shot a lot. This butterfly is so colorful... Great!

midlands birder said...

what a moth,great pics and well done with the little bittern and the red necked phal.i saw him too and was also struck by how small it was.but it was on the other side of the flash.
MB

Warren Baker said...

That Tiger Moth really is a stunner! I hope I get one on my patch kay.