Yesterday afternoon a Spotted Sandpiper was found on the dam at Tittesworth Reservoir, North Staffordshire.
Impatiently waiting for news services to crank up this morning, we braved the appalling weather conditions to head up the M6. No news is good news (or at least it's not negative news!). Before long we had a text from Richard 'The Producer' Powell, who'd had a text from his friend - the bird was still there!
Impatiently waiting for news services to crank up this morning, we braved the appalling weather conditions to head up the M6. No news is good news (or at least it's not negative news!). Before long we had a text from Richard 'The Producer' Powell, who'd had a text from his friend - the bird was still there!
On arrival at Tittesworth Reservoir, Max got talking to a chap in the car park, who happened to be none other than Stuart, of Alrewas Birder fame. We'd never met him before, although we'd been touch for a while via our blogs, so it was nice to meet him at last. Stuart, Max and I set off on the long walk to the dam.
Around 45 minutes later we arrived at the dam and pointed our bins towards the far side where a group of birders were assembled. The Spotted Sandpiper was actually up on the wall, so rather than approach and risk disturbing the bird, we got our scopes up to view the bird from where we stood. Shame then, that others weren't as considerate with their fieldcraft and some twerp almost climbed on top of it and flushed the bird towards the stream below. The heavens then opened; first heavy rain, then snow, then sleet. We stood for 20 minutes or so in this, it didn't look good, we were not amused.
Eventually the weather eased and I spotted movement down on the stream, it was a small wader and it was the first winter Spotted Sandpiper (lifer 247). Richard turned up just as we refound the bird. We all got scopes on it and although we could all see it, some people edged ever closer to the bird, until some clever chap appeared at the other side of the stream - that was ok though; he flushed it back to its favoured area back on the dam, where we all had excellent views, at some times down to 10 feet. I even got some record shots.
We all got soaked to the bone on the long walk back to the car park. Worth it though; a memorable day, a cracking bird and great company.




10 comments:
Nice bird Kay,
As you say, well worth getting wet for!
Absolutely! To be quite honest I was surprised how small the 'crowd' of twitchers was, considering its only the third Staffs record.
I'm sure I've seen one of those photos somewhere before? I can't think where though!
I suppose the weather may have had something to do with the size of the crowd. Plus the last one was at Belvide three years ago, so most county listers got that one.
I remember the first Spotted Sand I saw, near Nottingham in 1994, was on just as cold a day!
nice one
Record shot, your joking. They are the best I have seen yet. Think I might twitch it just to get the image.
Has Richard been nicking your images...charge him
Thanks for the comments guys.
Martyn - I am pleased with the photos, although I do have a blurred one you can have for your blog. No charge ;)
Martyn, dag nam it, I've been rumbled! Digiscoping that bird was impossible, so being lazy I blagged a photo. Ha ha.
If that doesn't make the birdguides.com weekly report I don't know what will. Especially as some rubbish, blurry pic of a Rustic Bunting at Walney (taken by me) appeared on there a couple of months ago.
In any case Mr Yapp, I've provided Kay and Max about 6 lifers this year! Although I can't claim credit for the Spotted Sandpiper, or the Long-Tailed Duck at Blithers.
Hence this nickname "the producer" that they've given me. Surely that many lifers is worth a free picccy?
Tis but a small price to pay - Mr Producer!
Well done Kay on another lifer and some crackin shots there too.
Post a Comment